Thursday, September 14, 2006

Love and Merzbow


Doors Open at 8 am - Merzbow

None of us have posted in a while, so I figured I should to appease our 3 or 4 readers (who might very well not actually be reading anything, but just downloading our Killer Tunes, which is totally cool). Because we love you.

Anyway, in my last post I put up a song by Merzbow, the amazing Japanese avant garde noise composer. Here’s another one. There is no one else in the world who sounds like him. And if there is, they are ripping him off. More than just a messy noise novelty, his work has a coherance and a maturity of scope and depth which both his out-there and “normal” musician peers often lack. His stuff functions and delights on so many levels, as social commentary, musical discourse, and as just pure sonic textural experience, that it always sounds fresh. But don’t play him at a party, or everyone will leave (unless you have really crazy friends, or everyone is on peyote). Here’s an interview with him that I stumbled across awhile ago. It’s from this online music magazine called Perfect Sound Forever, which I dig because they have lots of interviews with strange, progressive, or just generally more interesting pop musicians (like Jad Fair or Shonen Knife for example). They also have each person they interview list their favorite bands and musicians. I haven’t actually read any of their reviews or articles though, so don’t blame me if they suck.