Thursday, August 09, 2007

In the world that you and I inhabit, that is reality, or the non-blogosphere as some have called it, there is a band named Black Moth Super Rainbow. You can check the link if you don't believe me. You, reader, also may have already heard them, may be familiar with them, or even may be one of the band members checking up on the non-reality of the blogosphere.

They sound like a combination of Air (who famously scored the Sofia Coppola movie The Virgin Suicides) and the British psychedelic bands of the '60s and '70s. Theres even a little of the freak folk thing going on but by ideology more than actual sounds.

To hear them is to be able to imagine what one of their music videos would be like. A hand held camera POV running through the woods, shaky and jerking. The forests colors altered to a duo-chrome, just sepia and occasinally pink, and black. A few kids play around laughing and crying, faintly reminiscent of the cover of Soul Asylum's Let Your Dim Light Shine. It's very visual music.


In the city inside my head there is a run down movie theater that occasionally plays locally produced short films. The screening going on right now is a 30 minute adaptation of Hawthorne's Rappaccini's Daughter. Giovanni is entering Rappacini's garden for the first time and an extended dream-like sequence begins. As he walks, strange plants brush across his body and through his hands as he clears a path. Every shot is crammed with wildly exotic but plastic flora. Each leaf and stalk richly and laboriously assembled by the aspiring filmmaker. Everything is at once both utterly alien and gratingly commonplace, the epitome of jamais vu. Then you realize it's not just the visual feast that completes the scene, but the strange strange music playing in the background:

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Untitled Roadside Demo

8 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Enenbach said...

Your description makes me wish I had sound on my work computer, but it's also good enough that it sort of makes me feel like I don't need it.

August 13, 2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger radialRelish said...

I agree, although the sound does work on my computer, and I promise to listen to it too.

August 13, 2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

Thanks guys. You should listen to it, although maybe that would just ruin it for you since I usually come up with these comparisons when I'm half asleep or wasted (or half asleep and wasted). So they don't always make sense or I remember them wrong if at all. Maybe thats why I feel like I have so many good ideas but don't actually have any.

August 16, 2007 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear mazur,

Don't die in assia. Make sure you look totally awsome walking around hong kong at night with large sun glasses while you tell people that you studie stan brackage's film expressions in some rural buddist colorado mountain village. The oversized elastic suglasses you get after eye surgury are my recomdation. also visit komar in gongzou.


Boa Bei De

p.s. Wisco forever sucks and tell you friends to stop moving to brooklyn.

August 27, 2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger Lydia Netzer said...

I really love Rappaccini's Daughter. I wonder if Hawthorne was personally a ruthlessly judgemental tyrant or if he was always embracing his tiny bad flaws. I also like The Birthmark but I like Rappaccini's Daughter better. It goes better with strange ethereal music too.

August 30, 2007 5:52 PM  
Blogger radialRelish said...

Still no new posts, what're you guys doing anyway?

September 01, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Mazur said...

Seriously, what the hell's wrong with us?

September 02, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger Laz said...

Jesus! We're SORRY OK!? OMGimmike lost his password, DJ got dust in his eyes and it really hurt, and, well I'm just not sure what to write about OK?! The PRESSURE!AAAAAAHHH!

September 03, 2007 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home