Tuesday, October 16, 2007

unReal


The Rockies are going to the World Series for the first time ever, and I am a dirty stinking traitor.

We (that is, the half of this blog that thinks baseball is totally sweet) try to abstain from posting about baseball on this blog (because it annoys the half of this bog that thinks baseball is totally stupid), but I must say something about the Colorado Rockies and myself. To begin, I am a Brewers fan, because I am a Wisconsinite. They are my favorite baseball team. However, the Rockies were the first team I got really into by myself. I learned their line-up, watched them regularly, went to games, and even wore a hat, all without any parental influence or social pressure. In fact I got made fun of for doing so. Now here's the part where I'm a dirty traitor. When I graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder almost one year ago, I moved back to Madison, Wisconsin, and went back to being primarily a Brewers fan. Other than regularly checking the Rockies' place in the standings, I pretty much stopped paying attention. Because I am a geographic whore. Now here's the part where I am a dirty stinking traitor. When I moved to Taipei, Taiwan, two months ago, I completely wrote off the Rockies like most of the country, and lazily followed the Brewers as they died just two games shy of the post season. I then learned that since the Mets had self-destructed, and the Rockies had beat the Padres in a regular season playoff game, they and the Phillies were now in the playoffs. I guiltily jumped back on the bandwagon because I am a dirty stinking whore. This of course means that I am not a true fan anymore and obviously have no claim to any sort of celebratory satisfaction. I can only watch in shame from afar. I can however say this, which is why I wrote this post:

Fuck yeah. Go Rockies.

8 Comments:

Blogger Laz said...

I know I'm assumably part of the half of the blog that thinks baseball is stupid ( I've been to 2 whole games though, mind you. And I enjoy green beer as much as the next girl), but who's the other person? Neither DJ or ohmygodimmike (WHERE ARE YOU?!) strike me as huge fans...or they both are.

October 16, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

I'm right here and I am a huge baseball fan, and it caused me an incredible amount of distress recently. If someone told me with two weeks left in the regular season that neither the Brewers nor the Mets (the only two teams I am a fan of)would make the playoffs I would of cried. Then it happened and I didn't cry but I should of.

October 17, 2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

I love baseball. But I hate the Rockies. SI did a big story a year or two ago about how the ownership was basically trading away players if they weren't "Christian" enough. Crazy stuff.

Go White Sox.

October 17, 2007 11:05 PM  
Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

Thanks Grant, now I have to flip-flop again! Their miracle can't last forever anyways. (sorry Mazur)

October 18, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger Mazur said...

Yeah, I heard about that whole Christain thing just last week. According to Wikipedia, they try to keep conduct "Christain" in the locker room, but most of the charges brought up in the initial USA Today article were "repudiated by players" as untrue or overexagerated. I hadn't heard anything about players being traded, but either way it's uncool.

I am certainly not a Christain, nor do I support any sort of religious censorship, but I'm afraid all this doesn't change my opinion of the team I fell in love with in college, and am rooting for from the bottom of my agnostic heart (although it might with another team, assuming I knew more).

Wikipedia made it sound like the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Althought regardless; loyalty dammit!

Go muthafuckin' Rockies!

October 19, 2007 3:55 AM  
Blogger DJ said...

baseball sux

October 22, 2007 3:39 AM  
Blogger Hannah Enenbach said...

I suppose you heard (but maybe not, since you're in a different country) about how they tried to sell World Series tickets on the internet, and the server crashed, and now angry baseball fans are practically rioting in the streets.

October 24, 2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger radialRelish said...

I hate you, Grant Miller.

October 26, 2007 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home