Thursday, January 24, 2008

So 2008



I haven't read a single book since 2007. I've been struggling with The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, but who am I kidding. I'm not getting anywhere. Sometimes I feel like I might just have a problem with the Nobel Prize Winners. The Pulitzer Prize winners I usually really like. I don't understand what's wrong with me. The week before I found out that Lessing won I stumbled upon this really angry book review of her book, The Fifth Child, that I had written when I was in high school. For English class. It ends with "Nothing good ever happened in this book, it just kept getting worse and worse all the time". Yeah. I was a real wordsmith.

So because I don't have any books to talk about I'm just going to post some songs and talk about them instead.

Helvetia- Old New Bicycle

I stole this from Said the Gramophone, and I can't stop listening to it. I seriously don't even care about the singing, it's all muffled nice whiny words, all I hear is the super duper happy guitar. If I could play the guitar, I would just play stuff like that all the time. All the time.

Daniel Johnston- Fly Me to the Moon

In my opinion this is one of the most beautiful Daniel Johnston songs, and I discovered it just recently. It's from The Lost Recordings Vol. 2. The various layers of voice and music makes it sound really sad, confused and ghostly. It breaks my heart every time, but the weird little Jackson Five-ish "Moo-moo-moon-ooh oh-oh-oh" at the end always makes me feel better.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra- Love is Like A Cigarette


This is a very very elegant song. Makes me wish I haven't started quitting smoking. I have, you know.

Of Montreal- Jimmy ( M.I.A. cover)

Next week I'm going to start writing about the Experimental Music and Sound Art night-class I have started taking. It will be very educational for us all, I'm sure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Moderator said...

I'm re-evaluating D. Johnston. I once thought he was overrated. I'm having second thoughts on that.

January 30, 2008 9:51 PM  
Blogger Laz said...

I'm very glad to hear that Mr. Grant Miller. I'm gonna count this as yet another awesome thing that has happened so far in 2008 -the greatest year ever.

January 31, 2008 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home