Sunday, October 19, 2008

You'll feel mellow like a cello, yes, a cello.


So. I thought I'd write another post. Just for shits. Shits and giggles. That's what life is all about right? You might wonder what has happened with the fabulous Styx Tyger since last time I wrote. Well, I'll tell you, none other than Sean Michaels of Said the Gramophone agreed with me about their talent and wrote a really cool post about them. Which resulted in emails from some BBC DJ and also someone wanting to sign them for something slightly unclear yet awesome. How about that eh?

What else can I tell you. I heard a cool song about potato chips by Slim Gaillard the other day on JAZZ FM 91, Canada's Premier Jazz Station, which has become my main source of music the past year or so. So I ended up getting a lot of Slim Gaillard albums, and I really thought potato chips was supposed to be on one of them, but it somehow wasn't. At first I was disappointed but then I discovered way better songs of his, and now I'm hooked. It's Slim Gaillard all the way now for me. There's no turning back. No way, no how.

Slim Gaillard- Matzoh Balls

Slim Gaillard- Groove Juice Special

Slim Gaillard- Dunkin' Bagel

Slim Gaillard- Arabian Boogie

Slim Gaillard- Cement Mixer

Buy

As you can see, Slim is all over the place. It's nice to listen to super happy absurdist jazz when it starts getting cold outside. At work the Paul Auster books are staring back at me from the shelf, whispering " Come on...it's fall again. It's Paul Auster-time again...". But I'm going to be strong this time. Unless, I don't know, Moon Palace should magically materialize before me during some autumn rainstorm or something. I'll leave you with an amazing Prince cover.

Snuffelruft- Purple

2 Comments:

Blogger drewcif said...

Only the last (or first?) minute of purple rain works. Is that the point? The song doesn't seem to go anywhere.

October 27, 2008 9:30 PM  
Blogger Laz said...

Yeah that's the point. It's the first and the last chord. So I guess it's art then.

October 27, 2008 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home