Sunday, August 06, 2006

ugh...


The Golden Boys - Berimbau
Haydamaky - Listopad

I wasn't going to write about the pitchfork festival but maybe I'll add something small. The guy from the onion says he's sorry to Os Mutantes that he had to leave early. I stayed and got a relatively good spot to their show. I thought there could have been better international selection(s) to the festival, but there was an excellent vibe as they took the stage for their first performance in decades. There were Brazilian flags flying and a lot of pride and respect for their country. Not to mention they probably had the biggest crowd of the entire festival. The lead female vocalist had a great voice and a lot of energy. Their second or third song "Baby" I thought was their best song. The rest of the show seemed to be extended songs with long jams at the end. Their well known 60's psychedelic sounds didn't form as well live as on their recorded tracks, although I will say the sound crew wasn't ready for figuring out the nine or so people on stage for that set. The lead guitarist/vocalist was a Brazilian incarnation of Paul McCartney in every way. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Overall I was more impressed with the crowds response to the legendary band than the band itself.

I posted a brazilian song from a Giles Peterson compilation from around the same time period as Os Mutantes. I like the more classic sounding Brazilian music a little better, this song is a good example. I also added a ukrainian band for good measure.