Thursday, January 18, 2007

World Mix Tape vol. VI


OK, the time has definitely come for my contribution to the World Mix tape, it's way overdue, especially since I'm the only one of us who's actually from the World, in the World music sense.

Well actually, ok, my parents are from the World, and I'm born in the twililght zone which is Sweden. Music from here is still " Swedish Music" and not plain "music", even for us. Be that as is may, it is still not exotic enough for this post. Accordning to Wikipedia, it has to be non- western, or non western-influenced. Now,music like that is pretty hard to come by, and I'm too lazy to be a purist. Always.

I'm going to post 2 songs by 2 of Egypt's finest artists.

Ali Hassan Kuban- Mabrouk Wo Arisna

This guy is really cool, and this song is about congratulating the bride. It is not about my subway stop here in Stockholm called Rissne. After my initial disapointment I learned to love it anyways.

Amr Diab

I don't know the name of this song, on my iPod it's just amrdiab05, so the name will remain a mystery for ever and ever. This is one of the happiest songs ever recorded, but it still keeps it's edge with it's ripping Santana-ish solo somewhere in the middle. Just kidding. There's no edge, just pure egyptian chest-shaking happiness.

I want to finish off with also posting a song by Nancy (Nency) Ajram, Egypt's Coca Cola-promoting superstar diva.

Nancy Ajram- Oul Tani Eih


This is not a good song. BUT, it starts with this Bruce Haacke sort of robot-voice saying " Nancy------I love you, Nancy-------I love you, NancyIloveyou". And that, my friends, is priceless.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mazur said...

Hoo-ray! The first world mix tape is finally finished! If anyone (other than us) actually puts the tracks from all 6 posts together on one CD, I will give them 1 U.S. dollar...and a sloppy grab bag of sexual favours.

January 18, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

Laz, ROmania isn't part of the world. NOt now that they filmed Borat there.

and Mazur, don't spell favor with a "U"
Speak in AMerican ENglish..."GOds language"

January 18, 2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even though sweden is part of the west world, and romania may not be anymore, I can tell you that Laz has serious arab potential. she can capture the very spirit of arabs, the arabic language and complicated face expressions.

I know an arab when I see one.

January 18, 2007 9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and no, I didn't mean that romania was part of the west. I will defend myself with the fact that english is my third language.

end.

January 18, 2007 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nancy. I haven't stopped thinking of her since she entered my mind at our sleep over. If anyone can give the term World Music a new meaning it's definetely our own Diva of the Desert. Hehe.

January 20, 2007 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home