Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Abstract But Intact

here's a couple clips from the television show "The Mighty Boosh." I've devoted the last two days to watching it, abandoning all attempts at normal sustenance. After watching some interviews with the two main characters/writers they confirmed a longstanding suspicion. Howard Moon and Vince Noir are incredibly high at what seems to be all of the time. I probably could have guessed it when I saw their talking dj gorilla roomeate named bollo. That's "bollo" in a british accent which makes it sound cooler...and exotic, and when bollo says his own name it sounds pretty cool too.


The first half of most of the episodes are totally bland and boring, like a turtle trying to get out of his shell. Then in the second half it explodes into colorful nonesense and can only be appreciated by those who appreciate music.


I figure we owe some music to our readers. I found this cd on the curb outside of my house being thrown out by my next door neighbors. It's Cee-Lo Green the Soul Machine, half of Gnarles Barkley. Cee-lo shows his multi-facetedness on this album because the soul machine is also a bad-ass rapper who can intimidate, making up for his lack of height and baratone vocals. I chose a much more soulful song that shows Cee-Lo's softer side, a softer side that is shown when he makes his son, barely old enough to enunciate, say "I am Kingston Calloway, and I am the son of the soul machine" in the intro.

Cee-Lo Feat. Pharrell - The Art of Noise

The next is off Electric Gypsyland Volume I. I've already posted a song from volume II, which is the same balkan gypsy bands and songs as volume I, remixed differently. The two compilations mix the songs of the three most famous balkan gypsy bands, but this song is a megamix and mixes two of the three bands plus one artist I've never heard of in one track. It's extremely layered and reminds me more of the direction they were going towards in the second volume without as much dreamy distortion that makes the second volume so unique, the way only a band like animal collective remixing can make it. Check out Volume 2's MySpace page.

Are You Gypsified (Megamix) - Olaf Hund Vs Ursari De Clejani / Taraf De Haïdouks / Koçani Orkestar

The last track is indeed to please the pasty indy kids who read our blog. This song is the title track from Paparazzi Lightning, and although it's not the most downloaded song from the album, it makes me understand why Ghostland Observatory frontman Aaron Behrens has been compared to Freddy Mercury, not that I ever doubted it. They just released a new album called Robotique majestique, which you can buy from their label's website, Trashy Moped recordings. Also check out their myspace page.

Ghostland Obervatory - Paparazzi lightning