Sunday, November 16, 2008

World Mix Tape Vol. LXII


Yodeling isn't just for Tennessee mountain gypsies anymore my friends. It is also apparently a pygmy distress call, a call of mistrust, frustration, and misuse of dowry elephant tusks.

Francis Bebey - Pygmy Divorce

Something that bothers me more than almost any type of American egocentrism, is people's reaction in front of me when listening to music in something other than English, Spanish or french. They simply find it necessary to imitate the vocalist by wailing "lalelalelale" The way small children make fun of each other or communicate. When the voice is used as an instrument you don't have to understand. Watcha Clan's Sista Ka is Ashkenazi, Sephardic, and Berber using that and so much more in her music. I only understand half the words but It feels like the Spanish revolution and Franco is being Franco.

Watcha Clan - Quinto Regimiento

Watcha Clan - Balkan Qoulou

Huun Huur Tu is a group of Tuvan throat singers who also play such instruments as the Tuyug (Boiled and dried horses hooves clacked together) and the Xapchyk (Rattle made from sheep kneebones in bull's testicles.) This song however has other instruments in addition to the vocals which the liner notes fail to provide any description at all for. This song is from the album Live 2

Huun Huur Tu - Orai-La Boldu-La Kezhee-Le Boldu La

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Laz said...

Balkan Quolou is incredible! I feel pretty cool walking down the street to that beat. Do you know what language she sings in on that one, specifically?

November 16, 2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

No idea, I was hoping you happen to speak it yourself and could tell me, That will be the open question to our readershipmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It shouldn;t be that hard to figure out.

THe first time I head that song I immEDIATELY BROKE OUT IN DANCE!!!

November 17, 2008 7:53 AM  
Blogger Laz said...

Yeah I tried speaking it but it didn't work for some reason. Hopefully someone will help us with this.

November 17, 2008 8:25 AM  
Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

I'm pretty sure there's an accordion part, at least in the beginning. right before the violin part, unless those are tubas or other brass instruments for the baseline.

I've taken 2 lessons now and I can totally learn to play this song, I just need someone to sing.

November 17, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger chenmeinv0 said...

coach factory outlet
mcm outlet
michael kors outlet
oakley vault
nike hypervenom
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses outlet
adidas stan smith shoes
michael kors outlet online
2017.4.14xukaimin

April 14, 2017 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home