Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cigarettes, and the songs they inspire

Well, so here's a post about cigarettes. As you all know I quit smoking sometime in something like February or March. Some might say I actually haven't quit since I still steal drags off smoker-friends, i. e. smoke. But on the other hand, smoking a whole cigarette makes me nauseous. So I've accomplished that, which is pretty good since I've been told by Mazur, Ohmygodimmike and Kuech that I used to smoke more than anyone ever in the history of the universe.

Oh, you're wondering how I quit? Why of course I'll share with you, the big secret of how to turn your life around and become a better, stronger and healthier person. The answer is angrily eating huge quantities of apples, then oranges, and then maybe some other fruit, and then chewing a lot of raspberry-flavored gum. Instead of smoking. And then, if you're like me, you might harmlessly start stealing drags every now and then. Especially at parties or when there's like a really really nice view. It's a risk I'm willing to take. Yes. That said here are all the songs I found on my iTunes when I did a search for cigarette.

Duke Ellington- Love is Like a Cigarette ( again, I know, I know)

Daniel Johnston- I Save Cigarette Butts

Tex Williams- Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)


Sheila Hancock- My Last Cigarette


The J's with Jamie- My Cigarette and I

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ohmygodimmike said...

I;m sure you noticed laz the beginning of the Daniel Johnston song they play the clip of him filming his lifelong love saying "I love you Danny." Reminds me of the movie. Then he's creepily reunited with her at the end of the movie, which is creepy cuz she was such an untouchable symbol of love that I'm sure was totally skewed when he saw her and all her concrete flaws, denying his perfect vision of her as a boy. I thought them reuniting them was in bad taste, meaning I don't think it was good for him, even if he'd tell you differently...what do you think Laz?

It's so wierd how I didn't remember really anything about the movie until I heard that 3 seconds of the song.

November 14, 2008 2:33 PM  
Blogger Laz said...

Yes Ohmygodimmike, I did notice that. When she says "I love you Danny" with her pretty voice and then kind of laughs this nervous little laugh, like, I can't believe I just said that, it's pretty heartbreaking. And creepy too, because I'm thinking he probably listened to that part over and over and over again pretending it was real.
I actually think it's probably a good thing to realize that this love of your life/ ideal person you've created in your mind isn't perfect. It doesn't necessarily have to ruin the vision you once had, it just kind of adds another dimension to it. Putting it in the movie is sort of a different story though...

November 14, 2008 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home