Monday, October 23, 2006

No, not that Jubilee




Crap. I just lost my post when I visited the Jubilee Christian Center homepage. I wont link it because it'll destroy your computer and possibly your mind. All I remember was a south american guy with his arm around some little asian kid. The post was about a movie I saw called Jubilee. It was an ok movie, about artsy punk kids in a not so far away future where England along with the rest of the western world had regressed into a chaotic anarchist state in the not so far away future (maybe 1988). One of the main characters was played by Toyah Willcox, Robert Fripp's eventual wife, and despite some homo-erotic comments I may have made in the past about how much I love Robert Fripp, I'm totally happy for them. I hope they stay married forever and have like, a million babies. She had a kick ass song in the movie called "Nine to Five" which she sung in a band called The Maneaters. I found a 45" of it for sale online for $22 american, so if you want to hear it either buy that or the soundtrack to the movie. I do however have a really good song by Mrs. Fripp whos name is actually still Willcox because punks don't submit to gender opressive traditions like changing your last name. It's off of a compilation Laz gave me for Channukah or my birthday or something, called The Indie Scene 1981. It's also on the Ultimate '80s DJ Dance Mix Disc 15, of which I have all 40 discs (theyre all incredible). As you can tell by listening to it, she's was only a punk for probably a year or two, or maybe just the amount of time it took to film the movie. Chicks.

Toyah Willcox - I Want To Be Free

I do have two of the songs that are on the actual soundtrack, both by my man, Adam Ant. Just kidding, I don't actually even know his work because every time I hear it my brain goes into hibernation mode and I'm comforted by images Kurt Cobain eye gouging various '80s music icons. Still, I guess it was easy to do no wrong in the months after punk hit. His two contributions billed as Adam and the Ants are pretty exceptional, especially Plastic Surgery, a sort of rev up build up of punk energy climaxing in Adam licking the glass of the tv as his image appears on Top Of The Pops.

Adam and The Ants - Plastic Surgery

The other song shows that Adam like Toyah, quickly lost his punk edge as he already starts to go poppy new-wavey even during the course of the movie. Still I think its well written, catchy and all around well done.

Adam and The Ants - Deutscher Girls

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

The other song shows that Adam like Toyah, quickly lost his punk edge as he already starts to go poppy new-wavey even during the course of the movie. Still I think its well written, catchy and all around well done. دانلود آهنگ های ایرانی

November 10, 2020 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home