Wednesday, November 01, 2006

RIP


After a certain point in my musical life I came to a point where I realized that an absolute line dividing good and bad music did not exist. King Crimson was not the greatest band ever, and all pop music was not irrelevant. I think I had know about it all along, like my inexplicable love for Styx and Def Leppard near the end of high school. I knew it wasn't "great" music but I still enjoyed it to certain extent. There was some basic human component that was still effected by this shallower kind of music that didn't care if my friends wanted to have a You're-Not-Allowed-To-Listen-To-Rod-Stewart-Anymore intervention on me.

This lack of a dividing line has allowed me to be a total slimy flip-flopping liberal when it comes to my musical allegiances, but in the long run I think its served me better. To paraphrase Robert Frost, I was too broadminded to take my own side in any argument.

(I'll get around to talk about this band Can Joann, in a moment, but I'm still setting up.)

In college I was way into jambands, and Phish especially, I would get stoned as hell and freak out to how incredible Trey was(is) at guitar. The reason I bring this up is because I genuinely loved the genre's music, but also that I witnessed it die a horrible death from the inside. I remember one night talking with a friend, ever the optimistic stoners we decided the great thing about the jam scene was that there was no scene. It was just a bunch of people who loved music coming together in a gathering totally free of any pretense. Later that night at a show, a girl I had driven up to the Twin Cities with turned to me after we got in front of the stage said, 'Wow I really like the Minneapolis jam scene.' Then I realized how fake her college girl dreads were and that she was a totally up-tight bitch. Suffice it to say, this was the beginning of the end.

Along the years many similar things happened. They are too numerous to list completely, but they ranged from my realization that a local jam-band was fronted by a egotistic prick to the culmination in a wasted frat boy and his girlfriend at the last Phish show in Alpine Valley waving a bottle of Wild Turkey and yelling "YEAHHHHHH! Phish ROCKS!" non stop.

So what is the point of all this? Towards the end of the decline of the Jam scene, which I have now come to realize was a 'scene,' more and more people started up jam-bands which sounded more and more homogenous. A phenomenon which is still going strong especially here in Madison. Slowly, over time, the genre's conventions were boiled down into one or two basic sounds which could be imitated by nearly everyone. Essentially killing the idea of any creativity or experimentation, two things which are at the core of any thriving genre. Now it might be hard for you to imagine that I don't hate these generic jam-bands, and I don't really. It's just that I can't help but notice their genericness. I still hear bands and can't help notice the talent of the musicians and the groove, but its never a huge draw for me.

So the moral here is that every 'scene' is destined to die. Thats the only thing it can do. One of the characterizations of a scene to me at least, is that it is fresh and new, a little in-crowdy too maybe. So theres nothing that can happen over time but for general knowledge to spread, and for its green skin to slowly fade to brown and for its original tang and texture to fade away as well. Every thing lives and everything dies, its the circle of life written in the asteroids my friends.

Which finally, brings me to Can Joann. Theres nothing about this band that I don't like, but listening to it I hear absolutely nothing fresh, except maybe the fact that I'm sure all these guys, or at least the lead singer is really good looking. They flipped the top out of elbo.ws and hype-machine recently, making the most downloaded band list for a while. Still, this my friends, is the band that will bring the wasted frat-boys waving their bottles of whiskey and offering you as much as you want of it.

I may be wrong, and I can't really even say whether I hope I am or not. This world of Indie and Post-Punk may turn out to be more resilient than I thought and kick out an equivalent of what Green Day and Nirvana were to Punk, 20 years down the road. Still, I can't help but be a little skeptical. I take it as neither a pro or con, I'll only keep my eyes out for the next big thing.

Can Joann - Lady Luck

Can Joann - Indecision's Way

5 Comments:

Blogger mmjiaxin said...

celine outlet online
hollister canada
ferragamo shoes
ugg outlet
true religion jeans sale
chicago blackhawks
michael kors outlet online
cheap jordan shoes
louis vuitton bags cheap
canada goose outlet
discount ugg boots
replica handbags,replica handbags outlet,cheap handbags,purses and handbags,wholesale replica handbags,replica bags,bags outlet,replica handbags wholesale,cheap purses,discount handbags,handbags sale,wholesale purses,handbags and purses,replica purses
air jordan 13
coach outlet online
polo ralph lauren
ferragamo outlet
oakley canada
nike mercurial
ugg boots
coach factory outlet
mm1128

November 28, 2015 1:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cheap jordans
ghd uk
moncler outlet
basketball shoes,basketball sneakers,lebron james shoes,sports shoes,kobe bryant shoes,kobe sneakers,nike basketball shoes,running shoes,mens sport shoes,nike shoes
kobe 9
ray-ban sunglasses
rolex watches,rolex watches,swiss watches,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
winter jackets
christian louboutin outlet
ralph lauren uk
louis vuitton handbags outlet
ugg boots on sale
louis vuitton outlet store
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
prada outlet online
coach outlet store
tommy hilfiger
asics,asics israel,asics shoes,asics running shoes,asics israel,asics gel,asics running,asics gel nimbus,asics gel kayano
true religion jeans sale
coach outlet store
1216

December 16, 2015 6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max 2017
kobe shoes
kobe basketball shoes
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
roshe shoes
jordan shoes
adidas yeezy
authentic jordans

July 07, 2017 7:23 AM  
Blogger Lutfi Kurniawan said...

만약에 내가 간다면 내가 다가간다면 넌 어떻게 생각할까 용길 낼 수 없고 Cara Mengatasi Batuk Disertai Sesak Cara Mengobati Parotitis Cara Mengatasi Gejala Tipes Cara Mengobati Kaligata

December 08, 2018 7:00 AM  
Blogger axing said...

At first glance, it can be thought of as a women's high jewelery watch with a dial filled with flower motifs and a tourbillon. But this watch hides some interesting technology that embodies Graf's brilliant ideas.replica watches At 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock, a flower motif in a small circle rotates an automaton watch. In addition, each flower is carved delicately and painted with enamel individually by artisan's hands,replica iwc so there's nothing identical for each product. Mother of pearl dials are used, and bezels and rugs are paved with high-quality white diamonds from Graf Diamonds.

December 24, 2019 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home