Thursday, December 07, 2006

Meaningless Milestone

















Sin Taxi - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

Leisurely Poison - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks


Yesterday marked an ultimately worthless, yet still happy milestone for me. After four and a half years of film school (which will all be over in 3 weeks, transforming my life from that of a fun loving college student to that of an unemployed failure) I finally wrote a paper on David Lynch. More importantly, I finally, FINALLY, accomplished my collegiate goal of writing academically about the hot lesbian scenes in Mulholland Dr. The best part was, I was doing a feminist critique of the film (applying Laura Mulvey’s study of the “male gaze” to it) so I didn’t have to feel like a dirty asshole, and I still got to watch hot hot lesbians get it on.

Lynch's new movie (shot entirely with a consumer grade DV camera) called INLAND EMPIRE (he's insisting on the capitals) is already out in New York and L.A. and goes into limited release in the flyover states begining in January. I can't. fucking. wait. Here's more info about the movie and a super short release shedule. And HERE is David Lynch sitting next to a cow in downtown L.A.

I also found out that the professor who’s class I wrote the paper for is the 2nd cousin of the guitar player for The Jicks, Stephen Malkmus’ new (although they’re kinda old by now) band, which is one of the thoroughly coolest things I’ve heard all semester. Even better, this professor is writing me a letter of recommendation, so I will have official documented praise by the 2nd cousin of the guitar player of the new band by the frontman for Pavement who, as we all know, was the best band of all time. I now have the power to write my own ticket in life.

I was skeptical about the Jicks at first, but over the past 2 years I have been completely won over, especially with last years release of Face The Truth. Although I still run back to the safety of my Pavement records often, Malkmus with the Jicks has carved out a more accessible and melodic, yet still idiosyncratic and unique place for himself in the pop music world from which to express his personal hangups.

At the top are the B-sides off of Discretion Grove, the single off The Jicks first album. Listen to them, and share in a sense collegiate and erotic completeness with me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Moderator said...

Good luck w/ the film degree and thanks for the Jicks songs. Beware of the rock and roll connection - my high school math teacher was Michael Stipe's sister-in-law. this was the 1980s when he was still cool. Even though she liked me, it never got me shit.

December 13, 2006 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I was looking for a live version of Sin Taxi and came across your 'blog. I am the guitar player for the Jicks, but I'm also from a Mormon family, so I probably have around 150 2nd cousins. Hopefully your professor is one of the cooler ones. Be cool...stay in school!

December 13, 2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger Mazur said...

No friggin' way.

I was skeptical, but I asked my Professor (Clark Farmer), who is indeed from a big mormon family, and he said to "tell Micheal that Aunt Gladys' son says Hi."
Your band is sweet.
And you second cousin is totally cool.


Grant, thanks for the warning, but I'm riding my rock n' roll connection all the way to the tippy-top!

December 14, 2006 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read today is Smart Money that madison Wisco, is one the top schools for money management, and that it produces the best money managers in the country. Mazur seriously don't fuck with my zone, i'll make sure your kids don't grow old. Murder is my middle name, i'll steel keiths gun right now and blast you just for the fun of it.

December 18, 2006 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Good forum howilearnedtostopworryingandbethebomb.blogspot.com! Thank you!
tramadol
buy tramadol tramadol

February 14, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cartier bracelet
nmd
kobe shoes
adidas superstar shoes
hermes belts
adidas yeezy boost
yeezy boost 350
pandora jewelry
links of london
adidas nmd

July 07, 2017 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home